Thursday, March 19, 2009

Carmel corn

Since my sister is coming up this weekend I decide to make one of her favorite treats. Ethan Thompson was here today so he help me make carmel popcorn for her. The recipe calls for air popped popcorn so the boys helped me with that. They thought it was very cool. The boys and I had some for an after school snack. It tasted very good, but not as good as I remembered when my mom made it. I guess somethings just taste better when they are made by your mom. Anyway I thought I would share the recipe with you. Enjoy!

6 to 7 qts. popped corn
2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white syrup
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Mix sugar, butter, and syrup. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add baking soda and cream of tartar. Stir quickly and pour over popped corn. Mix well. Put in large roaster in oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in air tight container. *keep corn in oven while you make syrup. Peanuts can be added if desired.

1 comment:

dakotapastor said...

Thank-you for the carmel corn and the recipe. I'll share this with Pam!